Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you might have noticed a certain billionaire’s push to bring Twitter under his control. If you think that’s not an issue, just check this list of tweets:
- "The extreme antibody reaction from those who fear free speech says it all"
- “Truth Social (terrible name) exists because Twitter censored free speech”
- “A social media platform’s policies are good if the most extreme 10% on left and right are equally unhappy”
Anti…body… reaction… to… free… speech… and this techbro practically owns Twitter now?
This is, by far, not the only reason I’ve moved away from Twitter. More reasons include, but aren’t limited to):
- Twitter’s moderation that will gladly send you automated emails where anti-semitic username profiles totally haven’t violated the Terms of Service by… doing what the terms of service explicitly disallow
- all official client apps continuing to get worse
- its API
- its rate limits
- its moderation that will automatically suspend people for using the German article “die” in a sentence, thinking it is a death threat, or for replying “shut up” to someone that just said you should belong to a percentage of dead people that has since been proven wrong.
All of these have been long-standing reasons for me to stop using Twitter. The thing with Elon, though, is certainly the “Straw that broke the camel’s back”.
Do you live isolated from all social media now?⌗
Of course not. I have been active on the Fediverse already, for a long time on @firstname.lastname@example.org, and now that notbird.site is shutting down, at my own instance: @email@example.com. Feel free to sign up there!
You may also follow the RSS/Atom feed for this blog.